Tuesday, April 09, 2013



Previous post was some pictures of my recent trip to Bangkok, Thailand. In short the  trip consisted of shopping, shopping, shopping, shopping and shopping continued with shopping, shopping, shopping and shopping again. I'm sure by now you'd have captured the gist of story.

My 3 top places for shopping would be

1. Chatuchak Weekend Market 
As some local would say this place is overrated and not worth going but I beg to differ. Chatuchak, although being a very touristy place had tons of bargains everywhere. Plus, it is possible to find anything and everything there, from clothes to pets to food! One would be pretty overwhelmed with the amount of shops there is there. It was a pity as we only had 2 and a half hours to spare at Chatuchak as we were leaving on the day it self. My advise is, anyone going to Bangkok should plan their trip around a weekend. And if after visiting the Chatuchak Weekend Market you find your hands empty, then, you can go on to other places to spend without worrying you might not have enough money to spend in Chatuchak.

2. Pratunam Morning Market
I found out about this place from The F Word by Clicknetwork and had to go. We woke up at 5.30am and made our way there, as crazy as that may sound, the prices there were the best I've gotten throughout my whole trip. We were pretty happy that we stayed just a stone throw away from this place. 

3. Union Mall
Likewise, found out about this place through the F word. This mall is where more of the locals shop and I enjoyed shopping in this mall. Firstly because it was a MALL, there was aircond! Secondly, I preferred the styles I saw there rather than in Pratunam. I felt that this mall caters more to college/uni students and young working adults, it was rather trendy, not your ordinary but not over the top. The prices here may be a little higher as compared to Pratunam but I found my favourite buy in this very mall.

As much as I LOVE and ADORE shopping, I realize I'm not that big on shopping insanely like what I did in Bangkok. It is true that the deals there are FANTASTIC and probably the prices there will never in a million years be comparable to that in Malaysia but while travelling there I just felt a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the holiday very much with all the cheap stuff. I mean clothes at the price of no more than RM 15, who wouldn't? 

I found that after returning from the trip I had not gained much, it felt like the experience was much less compared to the places I've visited before. It felt more like a task rather than a holiday and the task being getting the most number of clothes,shoes and bags at the best deals. I felt like I had not gained the experience I wanted to, like to visit places, absorb culture and just enjoy my trip. I was exhausted each day but only with new clothes to show for. 

Overall, Bangkok would not top my list of places to go if I were to go on another holiday. I believe I would only go back again if it wasn't a holiday and having the aim of shopping only. 

No comments: